Friday, January 9, 2009

the 4-1-1

I started my new chemo drug yesterday. It has no chance of "reaction" so that is mind-settling after my last bout w/ the old drug. It has a 40% chance of hair loss, which, if it happens, will happen gradually (it won't all fall out in a big clump or something scary like that). I'm not overly concerned w/ this. I'm not good w/ hair. Never have been. Maybe tying a scarf around my head will be my forte. Who knows?
My doctor's biggest concern w/ this drug seemed to be the possibility of diahrrea. Pleasant, huh?
I'll deal w/ that if/when it happens.

I have gained about 6 pounds since I started my chemo treatments. There's no real reason for bringing this up. It bothers me a little, but not too much. I figure i'll work on that after all this is over. For now I will concentrate on staying on top of the anti-nausea meds so I don't feel so sick. I will focus on resting, so I don't over-do it and make myself more sick. And on those days when I feel good....i'll try to get some exercise so i don't fall completely out of shape. I truly enjoy exercise. It's one of those things that keeps me going. I can't wait for this spring when i'm done w/ treatments and I can strap on my new i-pod and go outside and go for a jog! You don't know how good that sounds right now.

Anyhoo, for now i'm feeling okay. I have put myself on a schedule w/ my anti-nausea meds so hopefully i can stay on top of it. I have an acquaintance who just completed chemo for breast cancer and she asked how it was going, if I was still getting pretty sick etc. She said her solution....over-medicate. You'll be tired, but at least not sick. I'm taking that advice to heart.

1 comment:

  1. I hope the new drug is better, and I hope that the time flies for you!

    I hope I can drive out to SL and sync up our I-Pods and make that spring jog together! Miss you and be well!

    ReplyDelete